Occasionally, the need arises to allow a student extra time to complete coursework, past the end of a term. The best way to accomplish this is to add an "Incomplete" section with dates in the range you wish to extend. You can then add the student(s) in question into that section so the course remains open only for them. Access to the course for students not included in the Incomplete section will end with the conclusion of the course on the regular term dates.
NOTE: As an instructor, you must create the Incomplete section and add yourself before the end of the term, otherwise you will no longer have access to make any changes in the course. With the Incomplete section in place, students may be added after the term has concluded.
1. Navigate to Settings of the course in question. Select the Sections tab. Type in the title of "Incomplete" and select the +Section button.
2. Select the newly created section link.
3. Select Edit Section on the right side of the screen.
4. Use the calendar icon to add Start and End dates/times for this new section. Be sure to Select the “Users can only participate…” box. Select Update Section to save your changes.
5. Navigate to the People section in the left menu and select the gear icon dropdown menu for the student(s) in question. Select Edit Sections.
6. Click on the Browse button to find and select the “Incomplete” section. You will also need to add yourself to be added to the Incomplete section. Select Update to save your settings.
You and everyone in the Incomplete section now have access to the course through the dates you selected. NOTE: If you have assignments or other coursework that have closed, you will need to reopen them for the students in the Incomplete section. You can read more about Assignment Due Dates in this Knowledge Base article.